Study in Canada

    Study in Canada

~~Extend your study permit 

Educational Institutions

New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).

Read about these changes and how they may impact you.

Renewing your study permit

If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student, you must complete the Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada. Check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure you apply before that date. You should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires.

Note: Children who are less than 17 years of age and studying in Canada without a parent or legal guardian must complete and include the Custodianship declaration (IMM 5646) with their study permit application. See the Instructions Guide (IMM 5552) for more information.

Determine how you will apply (There are two ways you can apply):

1. Apply online:

To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. Apply online.

Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please ensure you check it regularly for automated emails from CIC regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails, and clients are requested to ensure emails from CIC are not blocked. If you are unsure whether emails from CIC are being sent, please check your myCIC account on a regular basis.

2. Apply on paper:

The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download the application package. If you apply for a renewal of your study permit, and the permit expires before you receive an answer, you can continue to study in Canada under the same conditions until you receive a decision. You should apply to renew your study permit if you intend to travel outside Canada and your permit will expire while you are travelling. You cannot extend your study permit beyond the expiry date on your passport. If your study permit has expired, and you have not applied for an extension, you must leave Canada.

Restoring your status

In some cases, you may apply to restore your status as a student within 90 days of losing it. You may only apply if you have continued to meet the requirements under which you were allowed to enter and stay in Canada and you have met all the conditions imposed on your permit. After you apply to restore your status, you may stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application but you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored. There is no guarantee that your application to restore your status will be accepted. On your application, you must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that caused you to lose your status. In addition to a fee for renewing your study permit, there is also a fee for restoring your status. The fee is required for each family member who has lost status. To find out about application fees, go to Pay my application fees. An officer will evaluate your request for restoration of status and will process an application for a study permit. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will advise you of any further action to be taken.

  • The information below may be of specific use to educational institutions and organizations.
  • Partners in the International Student Program
  • Keep up to date on CIC policies and procedures
  • Work and immigration opportunities for students
  • Be aware of fraud Share best practices
  • Get the right documents from minor students
  • Find course material

Top Questions

     Get A Study Permit

Get A Student Work Permit

New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).

Read about these changes and how they may impact you.

To study in Canada, you may need a study permit and/or a visitor visa.

Prepare to study

Find out what you need before you apply for a study permit in Canada.

Determine your eligibility

Find out if you or your child can study in Canada.

Apply for a study permit

Discover how to apply, where to get application forms and guides, and what documents to provide with your application.

Check processing times

Processing times vary depending on the Canadian visa office where you submitted your application.

After you apply: Get next steps

Find out what you should do after you apply for a study permit.

Prepare for arrival

Be prepared and know what to expect when you arrive in Canada.

New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).

Read about these changes and how they may impact you. It is possible to work in Canada while you are here as a student. In some cases, you will need to apply for a student work permit.

Work on campus

Find information about working at the school where you study.

Work off campus

Find information about working off campus while you study in Canada.

Work as a co-op or intern

Discover how you can work as a co-op or intern as part of your study program.

Stay in Canada after graduation

Learn how you can stay in Canada as a permanent resident or find work after you graduate from school.

Help your spouse or common-law partner find work

Find information about how your spouse or common-law partner can apply to work while you study in Canada.

Work while and after you study

Study in Canada

Apply to study in Canada, extend your study permit, and get information about

working while you study or after you graduate.

New rules for prospective international students are now in effect

(as of June 1, 2014).

Read about these changes and how they may impact you.

Find a School you can attend: see list below Includes Canadian schools that can

host international students (known as designated learning institutions).

Designated learning institutions list

To apply for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, you will need a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution. You need to include the Designated Learning Institution number (DLI #), which is the number that begins with the letter “O”, on your application form.

All primary and secondary schools in Canada are automatically designated. They do not appear on this list. You do not need to include a DLI number on your application form if you apply at this type of school.

To find an institution at the post-secondary level:

Step 1: Select the province/territory in which your institution is located. A list of all the designated learning institutions in that province/territory will appear.

Step 2: To search for a specific institution, type in any key words (partial name of the institution or the city in which the institution is located).

Important Note: This list will be updated on a regular basis. Some institutions may not have a DLI number at this time; however, if the name of the institution appears on the list, they are designated to host international students.

View List of Province and Territory


Includes information about work on campus, off campus, as part of a co-op/internship program or after you graduate.